This project was initiated by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP) at the Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany under the auspices of Prof. Iryna Gurevych.
What are DKPro and DKPro Core?
DKPro Core addresses tasks that are commonly referred to as linguistic pre-processing, e.g. part-of-speech taggers, parsers, etc. Within DKPro Core, a steadily growing set of third-party tools for such tasks have been wrapped into interoperable and interchangeable components for the Apache UIMA framework.
DKPro was created as the Darmstadt Knowledge Processing Repository and first presented at the GSCL 2007. As part of becoming a community project, it was decided to drop the old long name. Presently, we continue to use DKPro as a neutral brand without any long form.
It is not uncommon for people to use DKPro and DKPro Core synonymously. However, they are not the same. DKPro is a community that incorporates multiple projects and DKPro Core is but one of these projects. Also, no all projects in the DKPro community are based on UIMA, but DKPro Core is.
Who is developing DKPro Core?
For a long time, DKPro Core has been exclusively developed by the members of the UKP Lab. Later, members of the Language Technology Lab, Universität Duisburg-Essen joined in. Since 2014, DKPro opened up to become a community project and has adopted a contributor license agreement approach to contributions.
We would like to thank all those who contribute or have contributed to DKPro Core!
– The DKPro Core team
A short history
- 2007: project founded.
- 2009: first closed-source of DKPro Core (1.0) released.
- 2011: the first open-source release of DKPro Core (1.1.0) published on Google code.
- 2012: first published via Maven Central.
- 2014: becoming a community project.
- 2015: migration to Github.
- Eckart de Castilho, R. and Gurevych, I. (2014). A broad-coverage collection of portable NLP components for building shareable analysis pipelines. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Open Infrastructures and Analysis Frameworks for HLT (OIAF4HLT) at COLING 2014, p 1-11, Dublin, Ireland. (pdf) (bib)
- Eckart de Castilho, R. and Gurevych, I. (2009). DKPro-UGD: A Flexible Data-Cleansing Approach to Processing User-Generated Discourse. In Online-proceedings of the First French-speaking meeting around the framework Apache UIMA, LINA CNRS UMR 6241 - University of Nantes, Nantes, France. (pdf) (bib)
- Gurevych, I., Mühlhäuser, M., Müller, C., Steimle J., Weimer M. and Zesch T. (2007). Darmstadt Knowledge Processing Repository Based on UIMA. In Proceedings of the First Workshop on Unstructured Information Management Architecture at GCSL 2007, Germany, Tübingen. (pdf) (bib)
A comprehensive (but probably not complete) list of scientific publications citing DKPro Core can be found on Google Scholar.